You know that locksmiths work with locks, obviously. But you might be wondering what all they actually do. Aside from cutting keys, do they offer any additional services? Of course! Here are some of the main services that locksmiths offer – they might not all be what you think.
- Key copies. It’s important to have a few spare keys. Locksmiths are equipped to help make copies to ensure that you have what you need in case your main set goes missing or a key breaks.
- Key replacements. If you don’t have spares, don’t worry. Locksmiths can replace lost or broken keys to help you get back in and on your way.
- Lockouts. It can happen to the best of us. Some mornings are hectic and it’s easy to forget your keys inside your house… the house that you just locked yourself out of. Don’t let the stress take over, though. Locksmiths can get you back in and on your way in no time.
- Key fob replacement. Things could get tricky if you lose or break a key fob. How are you supposed to get anywhere and get anything done without it? The good news is that locksmiths are equipped to help repair or replace key fobs as well as standard keys.
- Rekeying. Whether you’ve just purchased a new home, just got new tenants, or can’t find one or most of your keys, it’s probably a good idea to have the house or car or business rekeyed. Locksmiths are able to come to you and rekey your locks without having to replace any door handles.
- Fixing broken locks. Sometimes keys break off and get stuck inside the lock, or sometimes lock mechanisms break, rendering the lock useless. You don’t have to buy a new handle or new car, though. Locksmiths are able to repair broken locks quickly.
- Security and safes. “Locksmith” isn’t just limited to locks on homes and cars and businesses. If you’re unable to get into your safe or access your security system, we can help there too.
With the excitement of buying a new home or being too busy to call someone when your locks start to wear out, changing or re-keying the locks is something that often goes undone. While it’s easy to justify putting it off, leaving locks unattended to could have costly consequences.
Aren’t sure if it’s time to change the lock? Here are a few situations that can help you decide.
New roommates or tenants: If you’re a landlord that lives on- or off-site, it’s important to have the locks changed or re-keyed after tenants or roommates move out and before new tenants or roommates move in. You never know if a previous tenant made or had an extra copy.
After a break-in: Whether the burglar used forced entry or not, if your home has been broken into it’s important to have the locks changed. This provides an added measure of general security.
Wear and tear: Over time, locks wear down. Whether due to an accident caused by a careless spouse or child or due to overuse, lock mechanisms can wear down and break, keeping you locked out of your house.
Lost or stolen keys: It goes without saying that if your keys are stolen you want to change the locks, but even if you’ve only lost them and think you can find them, if you haven’t found them after a few weeks, change the locks to ensure that someone who finds them won’t be able to access your home.
New home: If you’ve just purchased a home, the excitement of moving in, making it yours, and decorating is easy to get lost in, but don’t forget to have the locks changed. If the previous owners still have a key and/or never had the locks changed either, any number of people could have a key to your house.
After a divorce or breakup: After a relationship ends, not all parties respect new rules and boundaries. One party may have left things in the home or feel that they are entitled to enter at their will even though the relationship is over.
After lending out keys to repairmen: Life’s busy and sometimes it’s easier to lend a key to a repairman than take time off work, but if you have or do so often, it’s important to get your locks changed or re-keyed. Although many are trustworthy and not out to cause trouble, not all are.
No matter the reason, if you are in the Memphis, Tennessee or lager tri-state area and need your locks changed or re-keyed, contact our professional team here at Peifer Safe & Lock LLC for trustworthy and quality service.